Jun 10, 2021

Posted in Featured, Podcast | 8 Comments

Episode 111: The Freakshow Takeover

โ€œFrom parts unknown… Secret knowledge, sacred rituals, and exotic practices. Marvel at the beauty of unbridled humankind! We have scoured the highest mountains, the driest deserts, the hottest jungles to add some spice to your life!โ€ On this episode of Spellburn, we bring you one of the most welcoming, imaginative, and brutal DCC judges, fresh from getting his tattoos shaved… thatโ€™s right, Strongman Extraordinaire – Judge Tim Deschene!

Stuff referenced in this episode!

ONE OF US!

Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea!

X-Crawl Classics!

Crawljammer

Forbidden Lands

Silent Legions

Enter the Dagon

Acting Up In Lankhmar

Podcast: Podcast

1. Daniel Bishop says:

Woo Hoo! More Spellburn!

2. Julian Bernick says:

More and then coming soon… even More!

3. Adam Grotjohn says:

I crave the essence rejuvenation that bursts forth from these ephemeral audial transmissions.

• Julian Bernick says:

I appreciate your unsolicited but generous sentiment and will endeavor to be worthy of such aspirations!

4. Yeah, a new episode! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Julian Bernick says:

Getting back on track over here, I promise!

6. Judge Mathieu says:

Hi Judges!

Thanks for answering my questions on the episode! Just two quick comments:

– No need to talk about Metamorphosis Alpha. When I sent in the question, almost 6 months ago, Glowburn had been on hiatus for quite a long time. Now that they’re back, it definitely should be their subject.

– Regarding “Color Spray”, to be honest, I was just looking for a friendly debate as it’s the kind of situation that would stump any new judge. Unfortunately, I seem to have struck a sensitive subject (suggesting a deep emotional review was uncalled for). I do prefer the wacky and gonzo DCC world to OSE, D&D, etc. But thanks for the advice, I will lean into these kind of situations.

I’ve played a game of Weird Frontiers with Tim at Necronomicon but didn’t get to know him. I appreciated hearing his DCC story. A great and welcoming Judge! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Julian Bernick says:

So I went back and listened to our intro again which doesn’t say “and oldschool games” but then I went back to like Episode 22 where it does say “Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game and oldschool adventuring…“, so I haven’t changed my mind about MA being fair game. Whether we do it or not anyway, is a different question.

Re: Color Spray… all I can say is that they really didn’t want me to start in on the math. ๐Ÿ™‚